Saturday, September 5, 2009

Life's Five: Entry 2

Live. I did something crazy today. I bought a bass guitar! I'm so excited! See "Learn" below!

Laugh. On Facebook there has been a status going around about health care. In its original state it looks something like this:

No one should die because they can't afford health care. No one should go broke because they get sick. If you agree please post this as your status for the rest of the day.

This morning I checked the Facebook headlines and one of my friends (MK) had posted the following:

MK thinks no one should be without bacon because they cannot afford any, and no one should go broke because they bought too much bacon. If you agree please post this as your status for the rest of the day.
The health care issue is a hefty one. I'm not making light of it, but MK's status did make me laugh.

Learn. I have played the piano since 4th grade, but I have wanted to play bass for a long time. Today I bought one. She is an arctic white jazz Fender. Her name is Susan. I took her home, removed her from her bag, and put my new Beatles tribute strap around my neck (I do not like the Beatles because Muzak killed the Beatles for me, but the strap is a reminder of the enormous impact they made on music. It also reminds me that I can still learn something from someone I don't actually like.) After reviewing a few "how to learn bass" websites, I figured out enough to play along with one of my songs. The bass is my favorite instrument besides the cello. I have a LOT to learn. I need to start with the basics, but I am going to be decent by the end of the year. I'd ask you to hold me to it, but I trust myself on this one.

Like. U2. I get to see them in concert soon. I like that. I like U2. On the way home tonight I heard Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of from their 2000 "All That You Can't Leave Behind" album. Are you stuck in a moment you can't get out of? Do you know someone who is stuck? I do. I want to help a friend that I like very much, but it's not up to me. He's got to get himself together. I'm here. My hand is extended. But I can't lift a corpse. He has to want to live again. I pray the spark of life and the joy of hope returns to him soon.

Love. If you have kids you probably realize that what matters most to them is your willingness to come alongside them and play, pretend, read, or even rest. I've been paying attention to my kid and the neighbor kids lately. Children don't care about adult responsibilities. And they don't fully understand what it means to "have to go to work." Working to provide for a family is necessary, yes. But adults think that going to work shows love to children. Newsflash: going to work is not a love language for a kid. When you get home at the end of the day, tell your kids how much you miss them while you're at work. Even remind them why you have to work. But then let them know that once you're home you are theirs. Do something everyday that communicates in their language how much you love them. I promise you...they will understand and they will love you back.

Be good. Be blessed. And please...write it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment