Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Life's Five: Entry 4

Live. This is the time of year when I burn rubber at green lights. Summer is great because I say to myself, "nobody is expecting a thing from me today so I'm going to do absolutely nothing and not feel bad about it." But when September 1st hits, I shift into high gear and peel out. The weather invigorates me. The smell in the air is refreshing. I feel happier. I feel like producing, creating, writing, exercising, studying, loving, living. I pretty much want it all in the Fall. 


Laugh. I laugh at myself a lot these days. I laugh because I'm on Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, now Blogspot, my own website, iTunes soon, and the list goes on. What happened to the privacy I once held so dear? A year ago, before this social networking madness took over, I was absolutely convinced the CIA was behind Facebook. But who could fault me? Have you SEEN this video?
Learn. I'm pumped to see singer/songwriter Ingrid Michaelson next week in Philly. I learned today that she has 25,000 followers on Twitter and almost 30,000 fans on Facebook. I have 95 and 140, respectively. It's humbling. For all of us out there who are doing what we love with the hope of finding someone to appreciate and accept it, maybe it's just not our time yet. (Check out the article below.) Our time is coming. Until then, for me anyway, I'll keep working hard at what I do and simply enjoy being a fan of Ingrid Michaelson's until she becomes a fan of mine. 

Like. My purpose is in life is not to be adored by the masses, but I liked this story I read today:
http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/why-your-greatness-is-missed.html 


Love. A friend said to me this morning that he really doesn't like music at all. I knew what he meant. I love music but there are plenty of times when I can't bear it...because I want silence. I need it. I crave it. The way of the songwriting world is to know the masters and study them, emulate them. I do find myself listening more and more to the legends to honor them and to develop my craft, but ultimately, I really need to do my own thing. I don't want to copy or even "sound like" someone. I just want to sound like me. And in my quietest moments, that is when I find out more and more what that sounds like. So turn down the music sometimes. You might just hear a song that isn't here yet. 

Be good. Be blessed. And please...write it down.

2 comments:

  1. "A friend said to me this morning that he really doesn't like music at all."

    I bet he said he liked your music....

    ReplyDelete