Monday, September 7, 2009

Life's Five: Entry 3

Live. I often tell people that I "live by the seat of my pants." This is mostly true. But until today, I never explored where that expression originated. I get what it means, but it appears to be a derivation of the phrase "flying by the seat of your pants" which, according to http://www.joe-ks.com, originates here:
Before airplanes had sophisticated instruments and flight control systems, and even today, planes are piloted by feel. Pilots can feel the reactions of the plane in response to their actions at the controls. Being the largest point of contact between pilot and plane, most of the feel or feedback comes through the seat of the pants. If you are "flying by the seat of your pants" your are responding to the feedback received.
There are days when I wonder if I should live a more "planned out" life. I don't schedule anything too far in advance except for my dentist appointments, the reminders for which now come via email, text, postcard, and phone call. Yikes. Would I have a more peaceful existence if every part of my day, week, month, year, life was planned? I don't think so. I only really need today. I don't want to always know what tomorrow is going to bring. I might worry too much. I feel alive not knowing. I feel alive with expectancy of something great happening each day. And each day something great does happen. I wake up to another today. I can do "today" a million times over, but give me tomorrow too early and I may implode. 



Laugh. Comic Brian Regan is a very funny guy who always makes me laugh. Check out his take on PopTart directions. One of my all time favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kThoZpF_U

Learn. Many people celebrate holidays without even knowing why. I'm one of those people. Today I looked up the history of Labor Day. According to the U.S. Dept. of Labor, it was a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. The first Labor Day was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in NYC and eventually became a "workingmen's holiday". On June 28, 1894 Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday. This holiday is set aside so that the nation can: 
"pay tribute on Labor Day to the creator of so much of the nation's strength, freedom, and leadership--the American worker."
God bless the American worker. We need more of them.


Like. I like cake. But I like frosting more. Here's an unbelievable chocolate frosting recipe I made today from allrecipes.com. (I don't know why frosting needs cake, but anyway...)

Creamy Chocolate Frosting
2 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons softened butter
5 tablespoons 2% milk or evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1) In a medium bowl, sift together the confectioner's sugar and cocoa.
2) In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Blend in vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Adjust consistency with more milk or sugar.


Love. An amazing friend of mine, whom I absolutely love and adore, can host parties and cook fabulous meals for hordes of people every night and never feel the need to slow down. I, on the other hand, cannot do that. I'm not wired that way. I need time to zone out. Or just be with my family. Sometimes I want to write music, have quiet time, read a magazine, or even do my never-ending laundry. I love my friends, and I love seeing them, but I have to find a balance. Too much time at home means I am neglecting my precious relationships, but too much socializing means I am neglecting my family, neglecting my responsibilities, and neglecting myself. 

My dear friends, please don't stop the invitations. Just be sure not to ask me to plan too far in advance. My pants can't handle it.

Be good. Be blessed. And please...write it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment