Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Love Is An Action

We tried a new church on Sunday and enjoyed the message from Pastor Brian Moll at Forefront, which meets in a theatre in Gramercy. Brian began his four-part series called "Falling (and Staying) in Love." The bottom line of the sermon was to make "love" a verb....to love one another, just like Jesus said to do....to put the other person before yourself...to make the other person a priority. 

Sounds easy. But is this what we do? I contend that we are we mostly a vain, selfish people. I know I can be. I don't think we mean for it to be this way. I believe it's a natural reaction. An act of self-defense, self-preservation, or self-promotion. Whatever the reason, it's not attractive. Yet, it is very difficult to let go of the ugly little "self." 

I feel disappointed that "me, me, me" is our most comfortable stance when life is about so much more than "me" or "you". It's about "us" as couples, families, teams, nations. If you stop and think about when you feel happiest in life, it's probably when you're doing something for someone else. Isn't it a joy to bring joy to the lives of others? Then why do we suck so bad at love?

If you'd like to view the message by Brian Moll, it's right here. Maybe, like me, you will start to think about how you can change things up in your relationships. Could there be hope for successful marriages, close families, and dare I say it...peace on earth?

Be good. Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment